At Sleep Tight, OverNight our philosophy is to help parents establish good sleep routines from day one. By utilizing Angie’s training as a Certified Gentle Sleep Coach and encouraging our families to use their Night Nanny Service until their child is ready to be sleep trained (usually 4.5 – 6 months old). Most agencies want to hold onto their clients for as many months as possible! Then once the child’s pediatrician says its ok to sleep train, Angie is available to Sleep Coach with the family. Many families find they don’t need to sleep train after using Angie as their Night Nanny.
As a Night Nanny, Angie will help the family evaluate the baby’s entire day. Helping with feeding suggestions, proper sleep windows, and even suggestions on play activities to lead to better sleep for the whole family!
Angie has received specialized sleep training for infants 4 and 5 months old however our process works for children up to 6 years old.
~Currently Training To Become An Infant Mental Health Advocate
The best gift you can give your child, is the gift of a good nights sleep!
GSC Program Summary Including 4-5 Month Old Certification
The Gentle Sleep Coach Program is the first and most extensive professional sleep coaching certification program available. The program involves over 80 hours of training, an exam and participation in case supervision with Kim West, LCSW-C (a.k.a. “the Sleep Lady”) who has been helping tired parents for over 17 years. Clinical supervision and ongoing advanced training are required to maintain certification as a Gentle Sleep Coach. Some of my training topics included:
- Basic counseling and child development
- Sleep science and behavioral modification techniques
- Secure attachment theory
- Support for the breastfeeding mother
The training also consisted of lectures from top specialists, including:
- Postpartum Depression from Dr Shoshana Bennett, author and leading specialist on Postpartum Depression
- Medical Conditions and Sleep Apnea in Children led by Dr Lewis Kass, Director of Children’s Sleep Center
- Sensory Processing Disorders and Sleep by Jodi Jennings, OTLR
The GSC Program also includes an exclusive advanced training series directly centered around how to gently work with babies 4 and 5 months of age. This program which I have also completed consists of over 40 hours of instruction and mentorship.
Some of the curriculum training topics include:
- In depth knowledge of the delicate nature of infants under 6 months of age and how to consider all elements of their well-being.
- Current evidence based guidelines and instruction on how to evaluate the 4-6 month old child and family and determine if the child is ready for sleep coaching.
- Gentle sleep solutions and strategies that are effective and developmentally appropriate for the younger baby.
This specialty training is designed to give coaches the knowledge, education and all the tools and resources they need to successfully work with families of babies 4-6 months of age in a safe, healthy and developmentally appropriate manner.